The Transport Ministry, in association with the Ministry of Public Administration and Home Affairs, has begun operations on 20 new bus routes from today, to ease travel between workplaces and railway stations, Transport Ministry spokesman Sumith Weerasinghe said.
“This programme is the brainchild of Transport Minister Dullas Alahapperuma. It has been designed on the findings of a study and demands made by office workers,” Mr. Weerasinghe said.
The launching of the programme will be held this afternoon at the Ministry of Public Administration and Home Affairs, with the participation of Mr. Alahapperuma and Mr. Karu Jayasuriya, he said.
Office workers will, in future, be able to travel to their offices from 20 highly crowded stations and travel destinations.
The 20 new interconnecting Train – Bus route are:
1. Bambalapitiya Station to Dematagoda Station
2. Bambalapitiya Station to Isurupaya
3. Dematagoda Station to Isurupaya
4. Kiribathgoda to Isurupaya
5. Hettiyawatta to Bambalapitiya Station
6. Janamadyagama to Pettah (Fort Station)
7. Mt. Lavinia Station to Sri Jayawardanapura Hospital
8. Warakapola to Bambalapitiya Station
9. Pelmadulla to Torrington
10. Digala to Pettah (Fort Station)
11. Kalutara Station to Isurupaya
12. Bandaragama to Battaramulla
13. Moratuwa Station to Battaramulla
14. Kesbewa to Borella Station (Baseline Road Station)
15. Chilaw Station to Moratuwa Station
16. Kerawalapitiya to Kohuwala
17. Ragama Station to Kohuwala
18. Nittambuwa to Maharagama Station
19. Divulapitiya to Narahenpita Station
20. Ratnapura to Ratmalana Station.
By Sandun A. Jayasekera
Source: Daily Mirror